My friend, Kathi, came to dinner recently and brought this delicious dessert. I think I have made it at least once a week since then. But I made up my own version using fat-free cool whip and fat-free, sugar-free instant cheesecake pudding. I also use skim milk with the pudding; I tried almond milk but that doesn’t work–trust me!
Strawberry Brownie Caramel Trifle
- 16 ozs fat-free cool whip
- 3 one-ounce boxes fat-free sugar-free instant cheesecake pudding
- 5 cups skim milk
- 1 box Duncan Hines Salted Caramel Brownie Mix prepare cake-like save caramel for later
- 2 pounds strawberries sliced, leave some whole for top
- Prepare brownies (cake-like version) as directed on box without caramel and let cool (save caramel for top of dessert)
- Prepare cheesecake instant pudding as directed on box (I use 5 cups of skim milk instead of 6)
- After pudding has set, fold in whipped cream.
- Layer brownies (either crumbled or cut in squares--I prefer them cut in squares), layer of sliced strawberries, layer of pudding/whipped cream mixture and then layer again. (Kathi does three layers of each--I do two layers of each)
- Garnish top with whole strawberries and then caramel sauce.